Please, please--don't give your money to the folks with the red buckets.
Whatever their PR office says: I know people, teens, who were turned away from their shelters on cold nights because they're gay. The Salvation Army has long been, and continues to be, a hateful organization.
This is especially relevant as an organization that serves the homeless, as homelessness is a serious problem, especially for LGBT youth.
- 20% of homeless youth are LGBT. In comparison, the general youth population is only 10% LGBT.
- While homeless youth typically experience severe family conflict as the primary reason for their homelessness, LGBT youth are twice as likely to experience sexual abuse before the age of 12.
- LGBT youth, once homeless, are at higher risk for victimization, mental health problems, and unsafe sexual practices. 58.7% of LGBT homeless youth have been sexually victimized compared to 33.4% of heterosexual homeless youth
- LGBT youth are roughly 7.4 times more likely to experience acts of sexual violence than heterosexual homeless youth
- LGBT homeless youth commit suicide at higher rates (62%) than heterosexual homeless youth (29%)