Fourth ELLO Post for Project 2: Prosthesis' Prostheses
I went back to the drawing board to find a mechanism action that would allow me to push and pull a trigger with one finger left and right alongside the bowl, while moving the spoon up and down. I looked up a lot of unique cutlery styles on www. dezeen.com (https://www.dezeen.com/?s=cutlery), but the best inspiration came from a thingiverse.com webpage group that 3D prints cutlery and cutlery enhancements for children born without fingers or hands. Hence, the actually need for customizable prosthetics. (I can’t find the original group, but here are some examples: http://www.thingiverse.com/groups/ergotherapie-et-aides-techniques, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:809953 )
This prompted me to think of the spoon design as a possible necessity, rather than a first-world country toy I could make just because I could. I went back to the Youtube channel by Noah Posner/ thang010146 so I could search for a movement that would work for operating a spoon alongside a bowl. This time I watched nearly all of the 508 mechanism videos, then settled on the pantograph. A pantograph is used for drawing a straight line but I chose this mechanism because if i attached a trigger and a spoon, one finger could pull the pantograph left and right alongside the bowl, while moving the spoon up and down from the middle of the pantograph. As a side though, I tried to create a spoon on Maya. It didn’t turn out right, but I could probably create mesh > boolean some oblong, ovaloid spheres into a spoon.
With less than two days to spare before this project is due, I rushed to the Marston Library. Thankfully, the 3-D printing staff had my back. With no idea when or how this project might turn out, I submitted my 3-D printing project to the Health Library, as well. Tuesday morning I went directly to the Health Library because they only had three printing projects in front of mine. I never got the email confirmation from the Health Library. Because they don’t print at night or after 4pm and the printer was messing up on the projects in front of mine, it was highly likely that the Health Library, wouldn’t get to my project until Thursday. On my way to the Marston Science library, I had already lost all hope that my project would be printed out before 3pm today. I had already accepted that as more than a possibility. So when I arrived at the Marston Science library to check up on my project, I was completely stupefied to see my little purple project on the Fusion printer behind the glass like a newborn in an incubation chamber!
What is even more amazing is that out of the three projects I printed, the simplest one actually worked! With a sting as a fulcrum to attach the Boolean Spoon to the Mochi bowl and a chip clip to attach the string to the bowl, I can operate the spoon with my thumb and hold the bowl in the same hand! The pantograph was too big to fit on the side of the Mochi bowl and the index finger spoon needed to be made out of NinjaFlex because the regular filament was too stiff to allow the finger joint to bend. I even had enough time to dash to the Midtown Mochi to test out my new invention. Of course, the Midtown Mochi was closed (typical of Midtown Mochi. smh.), so on Wednesday, I went to the Archer Mochi for a celebration of sushi and frozen yogurt with my first 3-D printed project!