Till the age of 5 or 6, an offspring is just a root of a healthy, adult body. If a child starts getting attacked by diseases: it could any kind of desire, minor headache to major tooth decay. It's extremely important to take care of the baby; even a little thing can cause a major problem.
Family Dentist Brampton always says to not only protect them but also to teach them how to stay healthy in this polluted world.
Common research showed that 10% of British children have missed more than a full day of school due to receiving treatment for tooth decay. This 10 % is a huge number.
In cases where children were required to have a tooth extraction performed in a hospital setting, 19% of these children had a total of four teeth extracted due to tooth decay. Tooth Decay is the most common dental disease.
This survey shows that parents face a lot of problems when trying to ensure their children’s oral health is maintained. It revealed that 64% of parents found their biggest difficulty was trying to ensure their children brushed their teeth for a full two minutes, twice a day.
It found that 21% of children were brushing their teeth once a day or less and 13% of children aged seven and under were brushing their teeth without adult supervision or assistance. (Best Family Dentist Brampton recommends is that all children aged seven and under are supervised and/or assisted whilst brushing their teeth).
According to the Best Dental in Brampton: The survey continues looking into other factors causing tooth decay in children; I will put the link this at the end of this post. It is worth a read.
As a parent to two little girls (aged two and four), we experience these difficulties too. Our eldest is now of an age where she is beginning to understand that we are brushing her teeth to prevent them from getting sore, our youngest just think we are attempting to torture her.
With our eldest starting school, we’ve begun to encounter new challenges; low in sugar lunches and snacks. As a family, we are very conscious of maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle. So we were shocked when we began to look at the amount of sugar hidden in normal day-to-day foods, which would usually find their way into lunch boxes.
Some examples include; yogurts which contain 16.6g of sugar per 100g; fruit fromage frais 13.3g/100g; squash cordials 24.6g/100g; cereal bars 34g/100g, to name a few. We would usually look at these statistics, with concerns about balanced diets and obesity levels, but many are forgetting the impact these can have on children’s teeth too. Even with the healthiest of diets; children will still be exposed to sugars that could potentially harm their teeth, which is why maintaining good oral health is vital.
Here are some ways to help take care of your children’s teeth;
1. Brush twice a day – set a routine for this, it helps.
2. Use fluoride toothpaste.
3. Make sure if anything happens or not happens the visit your Dentist nearby Brampton for a regular checkup. It's a healthy habit of Dental Checkup for you and your whole family.
4. Make sure your children have regular check-ups at the dentist.
5. For babies, make sure you begin brushing their teeth as soon as their first tooth comes through.
6. Reduce the amount of sugar in your child’s diet (I know this one is easier said than done).
7. Wait an hour after eating before brushing teeth; this allows the saliva the time it needs to neutralize the acids in your mouth and gives the enamel time to re-harden. Brushing straight after can do more harm than good to your teeth.
8. Replace sugary drinks with water.
9. Supervise children under the age of seven whilst they are brushing their teeth.
10. Be the role model for your children; make it a family activity. Let them see you brush your teeth.
It is sometimes a tough battle getting children to brush their teeth, but the time you invest now in educating them about oral hygiene will shape how they look after their teeth through teenage years and into adulthood.
There is lots of information and resources online related to taking care of your children’s teeth; as well as games and activities to encourage them to have a good dental hygiene routine. It is not working then it means it’s the time when you and your child need Best Family Dentist Brampton to not get dental health worst.