Project 1 Proposal Part Two
January 23, 2018
After having time to chat with Erica about my ideas and experimenting using the scanners for items, I was able to finalize my idea for our Photoshop Project (Project 1). I decided to choose to go with the theme of The Desire to Acquire Knowledge. The positioning of all the items will be purposeful, with more dream-like and ideal imagery over the top, with less ideal and darker imagery on the bottom. This overall concept is the dual reality of knowing everything, the idea that is in your head vs what actually occurs. I will now further define and explain the meanings and uses of the scanned objects I will be using.
1. Rubix Cube: For me, the Rubix cube represents knowledge as a whole. When the algorithms are solved, the picture presented is perfect and each side of the cube is one color. However, in contrast, when the cube is messed up, the picture on each side have no connections and it can be confusing, maybe even frustrating to some. I will be using the pieces of a cube to create the eye in the center of my project, and then I am thinking about having a solid cube somewhere else in the image as a reoccurring theme.
2. Newspaper Clippings: The clippings represent the vast amount of knowledge that is out there to learn, and all the opportunities we may have. The clippings and texts will be distorted and blurred and will surround the all-seeing eye.
3. Credit Cards: The scanned images of credit cards will represent the higher end of reality when it comes to the idea of acquiring knowledge. People often associate knowledge with power, and then power with money. This form of keeping currency is very universal, high-end, and is a symbol of wealth as a whole. This will be featured in the top half of my piece.
4. Bandana/ Cloth: These two will be used as needed for various textures and patterns.
5. Pennies and Paper Clips: These items will represent the lower end of the piece, and are meant to contrast with the credit cards. the pocket items will be used to represent the reality of knowing everything. Not what you make it out to be, and the opposite of wealth
6. Francesca's Bag: Will be used for texture in the lower half of the piece.
7. Jazz shoes: The toes of my jazz shoes are worn and rounded, so I will use this texture to surround the center eye. This will make the eye appear more tired and worn out from information
8. Pill bottle: more sad side effects that come with knowing everything. One can end up interfering with their own mental health in the search to acquire more knowledge
9. Rose Petals: I have rose petals, and written on them, are insults that people have had said to them. This was a part of one of my last performance piece, and I think would fit well with the lower half of my piece.
10. Crossword puzzle: Represents the unknown, when it comes to information. It will be blank, with no descriptions.