Second open letter to new fellowers:
1) welcome - welcome to the best thing since sliced was invented.
If you wonder where the little 'emojis' come from you can find the full list here - or as you type in a post or comment - a suggestion box will appear when you input ':' - choose one you like - fits your intent.
2) I make it a point to 'visit' each and everyone that follows - and as I have mentioned - you have only one chance at first impression - so make the most of it.
3) Practice the 6 sec and less pitch as a rule of thumb - which means - put up 'something' in your profile picture that defines you. The ellosphere is growing - and well - you don't want to be lost in the faceless crowd - as shown below.
4) Write a bio - byline - what not - that again defines you - your interests. Keep in mind - somebodies will read this and assess 'who' you are - in 2 seconds. You can be as smart as you want - but smart-ass..ing will get you nowhere and may - well - alienate you instead of picking curiosity.
5) Witty - to the point - AUTHENTIC bios (don't mean you relent being anonymous or semi-anonymous - Ello allows that) + content are attractive. is all about diversity and uniqueness. Remember - we all have different fingerprints - your should be as distinctive to others.
6) URLs are good - best to your main portfolio or blog. Again - somebodies will check these out - to see - read: validate - a little bit more what you're about. Make sure the links work.
7) Next and without skipping a second more - put content up immediately upon opening your account.
If you don't make a statement of appropriation.. somebodies will know that you got the 'lot' but don't intend to do anything with it.. Which is a loss to us all.
8) If you're unsure on 'how' to maneuver around the stark (and beautiful) whiteness of it all. Please take time to read this welcoming post (and follow provided links) written by one of the founders - @cacheflowe - also follow him - he's the one mostly publishing about recent developments and new functionalities.
Make it a point to check the little 'cogwheel' to see what options - settings are available. Don't be a snoob - nobody knows UI/UX all.
9) Sh.. will happen - remember - we're in beta - and a by invitation-only network. Respect that. Don't whine - nor complaint - worst complain 'elsewhere' - it's a complete disservice. If you find bugs - report them amply to @wtf. As you will discover - there is as much sharing as listening.
10) I am weary of the NSFW posts that are NOT so - and should not be under that banner. If you are NOT going to post sexplicit material - go to your settings and put the NSFW at 'off'. Simple yes?? Ello is a free speech platform - but - you have the responsibility to determine what category your content sits in. If you don't comply with this - you will be reported - and.. that's not good for you.
11) Interaction is all. As you will discover - the ellosphere is populated by extraordinary people - and level of likemindness is available to everyone who makes the efforts (yeah Ello demands efforts). The range of topics is staggering and level of interaction enormous. The community is a highly 'respectful' one and very well-educated in how to behave on a social level. I am awed - everyday. I mean it - EVERY DAY!
Want to be part of it all?
Start - a) checking who I follow b) check their profile + feed to see if there is a good fit c) start posting comments.
Once you start following other elloers - you have the choice to assign them to 2 locations. Depending on your choice: either your feed will have each post published shown one on top of the other -> Friends - or grid-like -> Noise.
The little is where notifications - ie - interactions others will have with you. Just recently - you can select 'which' categories - you wish to look at first. I like ALL.
Lastly - we now can post rich media -> aka - videos + music. Please read this post to see which platforms are currently supported. It's very easy to use - as is most everything once you get the hang of it - drop the url and tada!!
Here is an editorial guideline - feel free to follow or not. On Ello - words are important - as much as visuals. So here is how I go about - posting - rich media included:
After posting the link - add a title - or 'the' title of the piece - make a link out of if - select the text and a little pop-up menu will appear. Add a comment as to why - somebodies should spend precious 'time' looking - listening to it:
Webstock '13: Bruce Sterling - What a feeling! - a witty take on the state of internet affairs.
Then you can safely 'remove' the link 'above' the media - as I just did.
Lastly i - cite your sources. It's important that if the content you publish isn't yours - to give attribution to sources - which means a) you will prevent Ello being slammed with 'infringing content' troubles in the future and respect the 'fair use' guidelines. As well it's a good way of keeping the interwebs locked into a steady strings of 'linked' material.
Simple: give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar.
Lastly ii - using someone handle or profile -> @ name <- in a post - I personally use either /cc '@ name' because I want that person to pay attention to that particular content - or /via '@ name' - because what I am posting came from that person - or because I want to include that person(s) into the conversation from the get-go.
Every use of '@ name' builds the invisible ellosphere - and once you start cultivating it - the stronger it gets - the stronger you will feel part of it.
Lastly iii - in conclusion - as the @theanimatedwoman aptly said: Let's keep the 'cocktail party' going!
Love - love you all.