@ello @wtf So, that survey thing.
Yeah, I saw it.
It goes directly to a JS-only site. Which means I'm not going to fill it out.
(Memo to Web team: JS is now a net liability on the Web, and you're losing users, or shoppers, by insisting on it.)
What I've said about Ello and why I've largely abandoned the site is in numerous "Ello" posts listed in my Post Index.
The forced coup and Conspicuous Silence of the New Owners, as well as apparent Discarding of Benefit-Corporation Status were pretty much the final straws. You've lost trust. Good luck getting that back.
There are numerous technical failings of the site as well (the bulk of my previously posted comments). Fixing those won't address your trust issues, but will Make the Site Suck Far Less, which is the principle reason why I no longer use it.
- I can't find interesting content here.
- Features for posting the content I tend to prefer (long-form text) are lacking.
- Search is utterly broken.
- The editor sucks. A plain textbox would be vastly preferred. I'm aware this is a minority view, but it's a creator's view. Serve your creators.
- Markdown handling is incomplete and broken. I don't expect it will ever be fixed. It's been what, six years now? And the founding technical team are gone.
- You've squandered all initial goodwill and most users who'd originally arrived here. Good job!
- The "Following" dynamic is utterly fucked and long has been.
- The cards presentation is annoying as fuck to use.
- The nag splash screen means I'm embarrassed to point people to the content I have posted here.
I don't expect you'll fix any of this. You're mining a husk of a failed SocMed site for ... god knows what.
But you asked. And I can't help myself.