The small village of Cadouin is dominated by a Cistercian abbey founded in 1115. Monastic austerity was the rule for the Norman church with the remarkably roofed wooden belfry constructed by1154.
Between 1201 and 1214 the abbey obtained a ‘Shroud of Christ’. Thanks to this relic, the abbey became a major place of pilgrimage which only ended in 1934 when historians proved it to be a fake.
The cloister, reconstructed in the late 15th century, is a display of architectural opulence. This little sanctuary was designed as a barrier between the religious community and the outside world, a place for wandering, to meet, read and pray. The cloister walks 26 bays are entirely vaulted. Unglazed Flamboyant tracery fills the openings into the cloister garden, their shapes playing with light and shadow seem suspended without support.
Considered a masterpiece of flamboyant Gothic style it is listed UNESCO World Heritage.
*** Special Ecotourism Packages 2017 ***
Savouring vernacular architecture (6 – 13 September 2017 )
#Cadouin, #Dordogne, #Aquitaine, #SouthwestFrance, #France, #architecture, #travel
@ellotravel, @ellotraveler, @elloarchitecturalheritage, @elloarchitecture, @oldendaze