The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Designed by the legendary Frank Lloyd Wright. The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum was originally housed on East 54th Street, known then as the Museum of Non-Objective Painting. By 1943, after 5 years in that location, the space became too small to house Mr. Guggenheim’s collection. At that point, he appealed to the 76-year-old Wright to design a new museum. Wright agreed, though it would be 15 years, 700 sketches and 6 working designs later before the building was actually completed on 5th Avenue and East 89th Street. When the Guggenheim open its doors in 1959, its namesake had been dead for 10 years and Wright had been gone for 6 months.
The main part of the building is a spiral, and so is the main interior. That’s what makes the construction so distinctive. The exhibition space runs along a continuous slope, capped by a fabulous skylight.