Well, for my first post, I bring you some photography, and this time with a vintage aroma and a little bit of tinkering involved.
I found the love of my life: she is Japanese and 40 years old. I introduce you to my Yashica MG-1, the coolest heritage I'm receiving until my dad is able to find his old Commodore 64.
Beautiful, isn't she? Metal built, analog, with a light meter that helps you by choosing its shutter speed for you, works like a charm. Thanks to that, most of the times it is basically point and shoot.
I started playing with her a couple of years ago, but when I wanted to start with real projects, things started to go wrong. Often, when shooting, the shutter will remain open for about two seconds. At the beginning I thought it was the shutter getting stuck, but after some troubleshooting I found out that the problem was the battery.
And yes, it was a real problem. Because the battery inside the camera was about 30 years old and Duracell stopped manufacturing it long ago. There were some things that could work available to purchase online, but I wasn't feeling like spending 8-10$ per test. However, a few days ago I found my solution in a pet shop: the 4LR44, a much smaller 6V battery that some dog collars use. The diameter was more or less adequate (it entered in the slot) and the length problem was solved by filling the slot with coins to make contact in both poles.
After rigging everything, and not very confident, I put everything together and...
It's alive! So, after all this, I have some film waiting for me... Stay tuned, I will show how the rest of my experiments turn out!