The Admiralty Pier, Dover 1911
Another postcard from the collection of @edbuzz - this of the Admiralty Pier, Dover, which was posted in 1911, just after the then main phase of the construction had been completed. The 1 penny King Edward VII stamp is cancelled “Dover / 10:30pm / JU 18 / 11” and is unusual in being stuck on the picture side of the card which was contrary to postal regulations at the time. The receiving stamp was applied in Paris the following morning at 7am, so the card must have crossed the English Channel on a night-ferry sailing to Calais in France.
And from the “South Eastern Railway Company and Town Station” illustrated article by Lorraine Sencicle - the “Dover Historian”...
The first part of the Admiralty Pier was finished by 1854 and fully completed in 1871. On 1 September 1854, the Admiralty agreed that passenger trains would be allowed on to the Pier and in 1861 the SER were running trains along it. From the outset, SER had the lucrative government mail train and passage contract at Folkestone. When, in 1853, the Mail Packet Service from Dover was to be transferred from the Admiralty to private contractors they expected that they would get it. However, it went to Messrs Jenkins and Churchward and SER virtually turned its back on Dover.
In 1861 the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) opened their line from London through to the Dover Harbour Station on nearby Elizabeth Street. Although adjacent to the harbour, passengers had to walk along Admiralty Pier to reach the ferries. SER buried their pride and moved the Princess Clementine, an iron paddle steamer built by Laird Brothers and launched in 1846, together with the Princess Maud, built by Ditchburn and Mare and launched in 1844, from Folkestone to Dover. The ships plied between Dover and Ostend but the service was short-lived ceasing in April 1862.