I intentionally have tried to make this ongoing study work for me as a portfolio piece on multiple levels as it reaches closer to the final product. While exploring design methods that I was mostly unfamiliar with in Photoshop. I'm fond of my results. I feel better about my ability to experiment.
I found that silhouette work works really well with this type of cut out. I also noticed that the composition of the geometry has an interesting effect I want to add to the final piece as a layered plexi glass to further distinguish this vinyl clock from others in the sense. In the next post I'll demonstrate how I hope to avoid issues with hanging it up since the center axis of the whole piece makes the envisioned physical object seem top heavy.
So above is what I planned to apply to the back piece of the vinyl clock. I want to cut three shapes of plexy and stack them to make the shape shown in the first image of this process post. I made holes for LEDs and screws so that I could counter act the top heavy weight issues I'd have to face if I only hung this with one nail or screw. Once it fits right I will later design something to raster onto the plexy so that her silhouette has a design behind her face. I think I should probably stick with the vapor wave like retro aesthetic it might end up with and make some ditigal looking grid lines and compliment it with some pink and blue LED's perhaps.
First vinyl cut was not lined up right by the Water Jet technician. Many issues with the design. Might need to increase the thickness of the illustrator file and put wood under the water jets. The cut actually makes an intense amount of dust, and leaves the edges really frayed. Wasn't aware I had to pay for an attempt so it ran me 14$ on it.
BUT IT'S A GLIMPSE AT THE FUTURE OF THE PROJECT.
Here's the issues close up:
Might need to put masking tape on the center label to protect it against water damage, and sand up the edges of the back.
Plexy glass photos incoming.
A rough but complete prototype! Not including the clockwork parts, or led's or basically anything I don't need to cut. I like the way the plexi translates into a real world effect that I had envisioned within the photoshop file. I guess at this phase I need to focus on some major key workflow fixes:
Making proper recuts, detailing the material so that they are polished to the idealized look I wanted to give it, and resizing the circular slots I made for the glass so that the LED's match up with the size of its slot.
Unfortunate. I couldn't make any major plexi recuts on the main laser, so I'm stuck with the burn marks on the pl3xi for a while. Might have to go to home Depot for a recut on my huge piece.