FREELANCE JOURNALIST BASED IN LISBON, PORTUGAL
JOÃO MIGUEL FIGUEIREDO SILVA
Writer, reporter, translator and editor with 30 years of experience in feature and news coverage for print and online media, specializing in Architecture, Design, Comics, Art and entertainment issues, as well as other cultural-related topics.
LISBON // 1986 – PRESENT
• Writing articles for A Capital, Blittz, Sete, O Independente, Rotas & Destinos, Marie Claire and various other Portuguese media outlets since 1986.
• Generating communications materials for Meribérica, ASA Edições, Massa Cinzenta and other clients .
• Writing, translating and editing reports, factsheets, press releases, and other materials for Meribérica, Edimpresa, ASA Edições and other clients
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, HERÓIS Magazine (Comics related publication)
Lisboa // 1983
• Directed all day-to-day editorial operations, created all issue lineups, and edited all copy content.
• Wrote features and department pieces, focusing on comics related content.
• Supervised the work of an editorial assistant, page designer, photographer, editorial interns, and occasional freelance translators
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, CASA CLAUDIA and ARQUITECTURA & CONSTRUÇÂO (Architecture and Design related publications)
LISBOA // 1998 – 2008
• Edited all key content for monthly portuguese-language magazine market leader at its segment.
• Worked with writers, reporters, and copy editors.
• Wrote headlines, spots, captions, graphic text, and other display copy for front page
• Helped create and maintain editorial style guide and editorial consistency throughout the magazines
• Contributed articles on environmental issues and other topics
LISBOA // 1986 – present
• Translated several French-belgium comic albuns including many titles from worldwide acclaimed authors such as Enki Bilal, Milo Manara or Hugo Pratt.
• Translated, among others, several books including many title from the worldwide acclaimed R. L. Stine's best-selling Goosebumps book series.
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF, ARCHITECTURE MAGAZINE (online magazine)
LISBOA // present
Manage all day-to-day editorial operations, created all issue lineups, and edited all copy content from Architecture Magazine online issue and Architecture Magazine Facebook page.
Extensive blogging experience on a variety of online publishing platforms.
• Portuguese native speaker
• excellent command / highly proficient in spoken and written French
• good working knowledge in written English
• basic communication skills in spoken English