I've mentioned my nerdy quilt here before. As I dug up some earlier pictures of its first phase and did some uncharacteristic planning for a pending phase 3, I figured I'd show some more.
The first phase, from 2004 and seen here in 2005. Most of the patches came from t-shirts I purchased but there are occasional homemade efforts using printed iron-on sheets, fabric markers and one time a bleach-based spray cleaner.
I didn't get any clear shots of the second phase from 2009 before it fell into disrepair, though it can be seen in the original post partly hacked up as above. Everything was placed as I hand-sewed in an improvisational fashion, occasionally considering color or keeping similar types of patches apart. To revise it now I thought it would be good to look at the bigger picture and get a clear look at where I could modify while retaining a majority of previous elements.
While watching 200 Motels yet again I hacked away with the same dull scissors I used the first time around. In the second grafting I added patches on top of the original arrangement, resulting in a lumpy-yet-cozy comforter. This time I've tried to be more thorough in removing the previous layer while leaving the original blanket intact. Though it was originally designed for a laundry-loving cat, the project was also to mend the seams at fraying edges when it was conceived.
These are the largest patches to graft, taken from shirts that have fallen due to wear and tear, holes, stains or shrinking. I also have an assortment of letters harvested from an array of shirts already represented on the quilt to apply a memorial tribute to the cat who inspired it all along with a rose, near the backwards Superman 'S' because he was my Bizarro #1.