Yes, 2016 is the year of the Monkey. No, there are no monkeys in Russia (only in the zoo, munching on vodka-soaked bananas). Yes, in Russia everyone is obsessed with Zodiac shit and, in particular, with Chinese Zodiac Cycle shit, and yes I used to believe it too, in conjunction with divining fortune via playing cards and reading people's traits by their facial features (long nose means long dick and propensity for vigorous sex) and wearing gems that make your liver healthy and procuring mumiyo that is "mountain blood" or "mountain tears" that's supposed to heal anything and everything, and swallowing gold and reading your horoscope to predict your future (making fun of it in TUBE) and all kinds of stuff. Only shows you that if you have none of your own brain, you're eager to follow those who promise you they have some. Did I mention certain charlatans charged water over TV in Russia, making babushkas believe said water could cure their bunions and warts and heart palpitations? Anyway, I digress.
2015 in recap! Another year of writing went by!
Jesus, do they go by fast. Years. Teaches you to use every minute. So much stuff has happened that I had to go back and look through old posts to keep it all in order. It was fun to compare the stuff that happened to what I predicted will happen in the 2014 recap post. The only 2 things that did't quite happen yet are the publishing of TUBE and Siren Suicides, 2nd Edition. But! You can pre-order both! And they're coming in 2016! See? I promise and I deliver on my promises. So you better stick with me. OR ELSE.
STUFF THAT HAPPENED IN 2015
Siren Suicides, Second Edition edited; new cover designed.
- Draft 2 of TUBE completed.
- $183.61 in support and 44 patrons on Patreon.
- New writing process (no music, no word count).
- The Badlings audiobook 50% done.
Rosehead audiobook published!
The Badlings published!
Blue Sparrow 2 published!
- Books set up on IngramSpark, available in bookstores and libraries (they don't carry them by default, but if you ask, they can get them for you, SO ASK AWAY).
- Our Ello writing community @ellowrites that I lead grew to 31K followers. Join!
Ilka short story published in Paper and Ink Literary Zine in UK!
Rosehead selected for Family and YA Scares reading lists on Wattpad.
Irkadura selected as Wattpad Staff Pick.
- I have won the Amtrak Residency!
- I GOT GLASSES. Getting fucking blind. Slowly.
- Grandpa died. RIP.
- Josey got out of rehab! Woohoo! She's 1 year clean.
- 5 years together with Royce aka @roycedaniel. No clue how we managed it. Royce is now helping me edit drafts before the final one goes to Sarah aka @araenel.
- Rosehead was displayed (for a little bit) in Third Place Books, A REAL BOOKSTORE.
- Rosehead reading at Auntie's Bookstore in Spokane.
- Gone through bankruptcy and I'm fine and I got my own medical insurance.
Blue Sparrow quote published in Chaeg magazine in South Korea with my face splayed across 2 pages. For real.
STUFF THAT WILL HAPPEN IN 2016
Siren Suicides, Second Edition will be published.
TUBE: Trans-Urban Blitz-Express will be published.
I will start writing Janna.
Maybe I'll get to writing Marquis and Plato.
The Badlings audiobook will be published.
6. Anna aka @amili will graduate! Woohoo!
I'll be giving a lecture at a convention (and getting paid).
More glorious announcements will certainly be announced.
A sack of gold will drop on my head?
What else? Oh, yes. One more important thing. I won't take as long of a break between drafts anymore. It's killing me. Sarah and Royce suggested I write short stories in between and I will try that, but I'm having a hard time writing a new story when the previous one is not done yet. However, I will be trying something new in 2016. I will be sandwiching drafts. So, when TUBE, Draft 3 will be done, while on break, I'll start writing Janna, Draft 1. When it will be done, while on break, I'll start TUBE, Draft 4 (if it needs 4 drafts). And so on. We shall see what happens.
And now, get drunk on vodka, celebrate, and tell me about YOUR awesome things that happened in 2015 and what you plan in 2016.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, MONKEYS!
I love you.