Illustration by Rachel Levit Ruiz
So Raychel Rose asked me: "Do you have a self-publishing to do list on your blog somewhere? Or plan to..." And I thought, shit, what a brilliant idea. I need to write one and then check back on it to know what the hell I need to do before I publish a book so I finally hit all the dates without holding it all in my head and forgetting stuff, like forgetting to create a Goodreads giveaway on time, or forgetting that printing an IngramSpark proof takes longer than printing a CreateSpace one, and so on.
Well then, I'll attempt to dump all my wisdom here, and if I missed something, go ahead and add it in the comments, or just share what your to-do list is, or ask me to clarify anything in detail, and together we'll get this puppy good and proper.
1. Finalize your book title (3 - 4 months before publication).
2. Send your manuscript to your editor, ask for the bio (3 - 4 months before publication).
3. Send your edited manuscript to your proofreader, ask for the bio (1 - 2 months before publication).
4. Write your author bio, introduction, dedication, your thanks, your book description; collect quotes for the back cover; buy ISBNs (1 - 2 months before publication).
5. Send your proofread manuscript, the book description, the quotes and the ISBNs to your cover designer, ask for the bio (1 - 2 months before publication).
6. Send your proofread manuscript (with intro and dedication and thanks and all the bios in the back), two ISBNs (one for the CreateSpace version and one for the IngramSpark version) and your final cover to your formatter (1 month before publication).
7. Prepare your book for publication (1 month before publication).
8. Decide on the promotion for your book (2 - 3 weeks before publication).
9. Order lots of paperback copies (2 - 3 weeks before publication).
10. SCREAM EVERYWHERE ABOUT YOUR NEW BOOK (DAY OF PUBLICATION).
Read full post here...