In researching the truths about the professional ballet world I have found some hair-raising facts about how cutthroat and cruel it is. Just a sampling of what people do to each other:
- Splinters of glass deliberately placed in the shoes of a ballerina.
- A mother pushing the rival of her daughter down the stairs.
- Ballerinas cutting shoe ribbons of other ballerinas before a performance.
- A mother forcing her daughter to diet.
- Sulphuric acid thrown in the face of an artistic director.
- Ballerinas beating up a ballerina who won the trophy they wanted.
- Ballerinas instructed to do breast reduction to remain in the company.
There is more, and a lot of it will go into my book, but for now I'll stop right here.
Happy coming Halloween.