Have just read through 50 short stories submitted for the Inkitt Fantasy Contest of which I'm the judge, and then I got curious and glanced at my own short stories just to compare, and then I thought some and a few things struck me.
- My writing doesn't suck. I can actually write. Go figure.
- Many stories could have their first page cut off and be better for it.
- There is no need to explain anything. A good story explains itself.
- The first line is everything.
- Repetitions are okay as long as they add to the rhythm of the prose.
- Generalities kill the story.
- Beautiful language and sophisticated words mean nothing.
- If there is no emotion, I'm bored right away.
Well, I have selected 14 stories. Tomorrow I will need to pare them down to 3.
Wish me luck.