20 SELF-PUBLISHING DO'S AND DON'TS
"Hi Ksenia, I wish you would write about that [self-publishing] process. The do's and don'ts. The good or bad ways. Steps to go through. Soon I’ll be going into this and will be suffering from overload I am sure, until I can figure it all out. As I have been following you for over a year now, I just find that you are so knowledgeable in this realm, and always helpful to others. Thank you so much. @thebillyjack."
Hi @thebillyjack, excellent questions, and a post long overdue. I've been collecting information about this over the years, and you can look at the older posts I'll link below, but it's a good idea to summarize it all quickly in one post, to give you a kind of a starting point and not feel so overwhelmed by the whole process. Here we go then.
- Do your homework.
- Do hire a self-publishing team.
- Do adhere to the industry standards.
- Do study your craft.
- Do plan to invest time and money.
- Do experiment with prices.
- Do your research.
- Do get a mentor.
- Do the math.
- JUST BLOODY DO IT.
- Don't despair.
- Don't expect good help for free.
- Don't reinvent the wheel.
- Don't disregard reading.
- Don't expect sales right away.
- Don't quit your job!
- Don't be afraid to make mistakes.
- Don't get paralyzed by planning.
- Don't listen to naysayers.
- DON'T BLOODY GIVE UP.
Read full post here...