If Ello wants to succeed, or at least matter:
* It is going to have to recover from system errors faster.
* It is going to have to find a way for casual users to find each other and interact with their content more easily.
* It is going to have to find a way to fix things, like the system tripling the general feed's photo-posts, whole batches of text disappearing when posted, images posted to appear aligned and oriented correctly, etc.
* It is going to have to find a way for text-related posts to appear in such a way to actually connect and relate to people, since people have little way of finding one another or their content.
* It is going to have to realize most (or casual) Ello users are bored. Press releases and promises, pats on its own back and reminding us of how beautiful Ello is means squat. We require unique avenues, methods of discovery, and a reason to check in each day.
* It is going to have to understand that its content is boring, because people are also boring. No one reads anymore, and "Nice pic!" and "OOOOOoooooh pretty!" responses to images that don't post correctly is not really content, except to the 5% of active users Ello whose current life mission is to be the top 5% of active Ello users. The other 95% won't (or don't) care. If the 5% of active Ello users are actually the sponsors, benefactors, and/or supporters, well, that's a whore of a different color.
* It will have to admit we all get what we pay for. Since other social networking is free, except at the cost of frustration of ads and irritations, riding on the idea that it's a not-for-profit organization needs to be coupled with more actual communication and innovation amongst and with the users. Work smarter, not harder. Try a survey or something. You can't listen if you don't ask. Prove you're here for all of us.
* It will have to recognize that sentiment is a helium birthday balloon, slowly deflating its shiny message, easily drifting away without a second thought, and forgotten about just as easily once people have lost amusement--it is then discarded. It sucks, but it's true. Many of us probably want Ello to succeed. It's tough making a world-wide social networking site from scratch, but it'd be a shame to be known as the people who almost made a really cool social networking site way-back-when.
To the three people who bothered, none of them from Ello, thank you for reading.