Okay, so I have been on here for a few weeks now, and here is what I have learned about how to engage on Ello, and what makes for interesting reading. I hope you find it useful
1. If new to Ello, get your avatar up and some content uploaded as soon as you can. Because as I trawl through new followers I am more likely to click on the accounts of users who have included good images and interesting content (but images will always catch my attention).
2. Include links to your website etc in your profile. If you are a creative, personally I like to see peoples work. As I co-edit an arts mag, I am always looking for interesting art and design for possible features.
3. Don't just follow the 'great and the good', follow the good.
Which means simply, don't just follow those whom you think are popular.
4. If you have been looking through the 'Recommended' list in 'Discover', then follow the people with whom you have some kind of connection, or common ground etc, and engage with them. Comment on other peoples posts and join in.
5. Avoid just posting links to your latest blog post with nothing else to engage the reader, or random one liners.
6. If relevant try and include an image in your post to catch the readers attention. Research has shown that successful content that engages the user is image led. Pinterest and Instragram are successful for that reason.
7. Comment on other peoples content with something meaningful if you don't really know them, not just a 'hello', which is just arm waving.
8. Lastly, always be polite, courteous and respectful.
For those struggling with post formatting, posting images etc. I highly recommend that you read the 'How to format text posts' guidelines and the 'Post Tips' guidelines.
@thomashawk has written a very good article >>>> HERE <<<< about engagement and best use of Ello. Do take the time to give it a read.