Hey friends. Check out the selected artists from Science Friday’s Artist Invite and the other open Artist Invites. Plus this week’s giveaways
Announcing the Selected Artists for Science Friday
Big congrats to @wflemming, @maljones, @unitvector, @sitomu, @rdavis6560 and @alterlier. They will be creating an original illustration that depicts a mind-blowing Stephen Hawking quote about the universe, space, time, gravity, black holes, etc. in their own unique style, as well as receive $400 and have their work appear alongside the inspiring quote and an artist’s statement on sciencefriday.com. The gallery and selected images will be promoted in Science Friday’s social media, newsletters, educational materials, and radio program. We can’t wait to see it.
Ello PRIDE Community & Exhibition
Submit your work for the opportunity to have your work showcased in an exhibition at Soho House, to be featured in PRIDE (an ongoing curated exhibition of LGBTQ+ work), the launch of the Ello PRIDE community, and to showcase your work to brands with the aim of future commissioned opportunities.
Are you an LGBTQ+ painter, poet, photographer, graphic designer, illustrator, art director, 3D and/or motion artist, filmmaker, musician or just a powerful creative? Have you envisioned the ways your forward thinking and creative edge could shape the voices and cultural nuances of your lifestyle? Do you know your work is meant to push conversation, challenge the status quo, and effect change?
We cannot wait to see and support your work & ideas. Today more than ever, we need them.
• Show your work in an exhibition at Soho House in London – 6 selected artists will be showcased in "Diversity Inks" on September 5th.
• Be a featured artist in the new Ello PRIDE community. Ello will launch PRIDE with an online exhibition of 50 of the most thought-provoking LGBTQ+ artists.
• All 50 artists will have the opportunity to have their work showcased to brands with the aim of future commissioned opportunities.
Learn More & Submit
Get Your Photography Featured in East 8 Magazine
Submit your photography to be featured in East 8 Magazine and considered for an “East 8 Presents” commission.
East 8 is a new online pictorial magazine that showcases outstanding photographic art from around the globe. They are dedicated to helping artists bring their photographic visions to life by creating an online space that empowers photographers and visual artists to create on their own terms. Artists shouldn't have to compromise their vision, whether it's due to lack of funding, conflicting client expectations, or just the simple pressure of needing to put out content in order to keep up with social media.
Visit their site http://east8.co and social media East 8 Mag to get an idea of what they’re about and for inspiration on your submission.
• Three selected artists will be provided funding up to $250 to complete a photographic project of their choosing between now and the end of the year. Total funding is contingent on approval of project concept and cost estimate provided by artist. Commissioned works will be licensed to East 8 but will remain the property of the artist.
• Selected prints from commissioned projects will be up for sale with profit shared with artist (profits shared evenly between artist and East 8).
• Promotion across East 8 social media platforms
• Top 10 runner-up artists will be promoted on East 8 website and social media platforms.
Learn More & Submit
Get Featured in Papercut Magazine
Submit work that explores the increasing surveillance in our everyday lives.
_“Welcome to 'Surveillance', the next issue of Papercut Magazine.
Between 'The Great Firewall' in China, US military drones, corporate hacking scandals, police body cameras, and satellites, there's nowhere to hide.
But do we really care? We live in an age of constant 'self-surveillance'. We stream every waking hour of our lives on Periscope and Instagram. We freely share our location and track our health vitals with wrist bands, and post our every thought on Twitter.
For this issue we're curating creative works that explore the political and social issues regarding the constant and rapid expansion of surveillance (national and individual) across the Globe.
And remember….We'll be watching you!”_
• A minimum of 5 artists will be selected and published in the Surveillance Papercut Digital and Print On Demand Issue
• All selected artists will receive a print version of the magazine
• All selected artists will be promoted and tagged across Papercut's social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
Learn more & submit.
ENDING SOON: Get Published in Blacklisted Magazine Issue 01
Are you a painter, poet, photographer, performance artist, or just a general weirdo? Now is your chance to immortalize that creative fruitcake in print.
_“For our premier issue, we are focusing on showcasing creative work with text as a medium. As words are usually black on white, we are planning the entire first issue to present high-quality offset printed representations of black and white creative expression.
B&W photography, illustration, or stories are the most obvious, but we are open for anything creative. You want us to print 6 pages of solid black? Convince us why, and we might select your work.”_
• Seven artists will be selected to be featured in the premier issue of Blacklisted Magazine. Each artist will be contacted afterwards for an interview, which will accompany the presentation of their artwork. These articles will be published on Blacklisted’s digital platform two months after the release of the print magazine.
• Five additional artists will be selected for an article on Blacklisted’s digital platform.
Learn More & Submit.
This Week’s Giveaways
Kit Mizeres Giveaway
Traveling artist and illustrator @kitmizeresart creates “wildly chaotic and surreal” art featuring elaborately ornamented animals and “personal folklore”. Comment through Wednesday to win an original “Water Snake” painting by the artist. View more of her work here.
Sophie Rawlingson Giveaway
UK-based freelance illustrator and owner of @allmyplantsaredead creates fun and vibrant illustrations “aiming to convey a social or environmental message”. Comment through Thursday to win a limited A4 print of “Introvert” by the artist. View more of her work here and here.
Kärt Einasto Giveaway
Estonia-based illustrator @k2rt blends fantasy with reality in her fluid and colorful illustrations of people, morphed animals, and abstract shapes. Comment this Thursday through Saturday to win a sticker pack from the artist. View more of her work here
You Decide Who You Are Giveaway
The folks over at @ydwya who design modern, unisex and socially-conscious tees are back with their second giveaway; this time with a new teeshirt design and an enamel pin. Comment this Saturday through Tuesday to win a new tee and “Alien” pin. View more of their tees here.
Awesome background image by @matialonsor.
Missed a previous update? Find them all here.