Dadri lynching and aftermath: Facts Known (till 07-10-2015)
#Cow is worshiped as divine mother by many Hindus. #BeefBan is enshrined in #India's constitution in Article 48 as a directive principle of state policy since 1950, but is still not legally enforced in state of UP.
- On the night of 28th September 2015, a mob killed a 52 year old #Muslim man and seriously injured his 22 year old son by lynching in Bisara village near #Dadri, UP. The families' #Hindu neighbours tried to stop the mob, but were unsuccessful. Police attributes the cause of killing to a rumour spread in the evening that the family was eating cow-beef.
- The rumour was spread by some boys through local temple's public announcement system. Temple's priest has denied involvement. In less than a week, at least 9 arrests were made, including son of a local #BJP leader. BJP is in opposition in UP.
#UP govt initially announced 10 lakh ex-gratia amount to the family, which was later raised to 20 lakh.
- Even though the event is neither unique nor notably worse than hundreds of such events; #media coverage of the event, its aftermath and its analysis has been so excessive that it sidelined all issues of national importance.
- Many politicians have made comments suitable for their own vote-banks and national opposition is repeatedly asking the PM #Modi to comment on the matter even as their own highest leaders (for example, #SoniaGandhi of #Congress) have been strategically silent as well.
- Locals have opposed the arrests and have accused the media of covering only one angle of the story. They have been protesting police action and reportedly attacked media vans. One person has been injured in these protests.
- Social media has been abuzz with reporting and analysis of the event as many noted media persons and politicians have made comments - not all of them rational.
- UP police has asked #Twitter to remove some 'provocative posts' off its website, and filed FIR against Ritu Rathore ostensibly for such posts.
- UP govt's own Minister, #AzamKhan, has written a letter to #UN saying that Muslims do not feel safe in India - drawing sharp criticism from not only BJP leaders and respected social media handles but also from other Muslim RW factions like Asad-ud-din #Owasi of #AIMIM.