Here is the progress on the "arms" of my bike rack. First I imported my sketch and traced the image. This is the (actual) silhouette of my arm.
Then I had to "vectorize" this image. I don't know any other methods that would work in this case besides simply tracing it with the pen tool, so that's what I did. I wanted to use a thick stroke and outline it to produce a robust, clean looking arm without the need for any supports. However, after I painstakingly traced the sketch (had to offset path from what I wanted to trace to get the edge of the stroke coincident with the edge of the imported sketch), I realized my line weight was wimpy. Okay, great!
Well, I had entertained the idea of internal supports beforehand, so why not just go ahead with it? I made a crosshatched grid that I combined with the vector arm using the shape builder tool. I get some funny hang-y nubs that I need to deal with (I'll be asking about this in class), but otherwise I'm happy with it so far. It's looking a little more "industrial."
This is all well and good, but I need somewhere for this arm to anchor into the support block. This is another thing I'll have to ask about in class. I tried using the shape builder tool to connect the green rectangle with bolt hols to the arm. I need to line them up before I can do that. Not so great.
Finally, I took a look at the "ouline stroke..." Uh-oh! Not sure how to deal with this at the moment!
(also the last two images are to scale so they're a little crunched. whoops.)
Okay, with the outline stroke command engaged and the shape builder I was able to clean up my outline. This was pretty much just a test run. Ill have to do it again to fix some issues. I also need to connect the part with the holes.