Yo. This week we launched the Displate Artist Invite, shared an interview with @richardachance, reminded you that we aren’t being creepy with your data, launched a new iOS version and lined up some sweet giveaways. Oh and we’ll have some downtime on April the 2 - sorry about that.
Scheduled Down Time
Next Monday we will have to take Ello offline for 10 - 20 minutes. We have some database maintenance to attend to. We will be shooting for as late as possible (Mountain Standard Time). We apologize in advance for the interruption. You can expect an announcement from us 60 minutes before we go down.
iOS Category Subscriptions
Just like web, you can now subscribing / unsubscribing from categories on iOS
A Quick & Reassuring Refresher on Ello’s Data Policies
There’s been a lot of hype lately about social networks mining and abusing their communities’ data. That’s why we’re taking a moment to remind you that Ello takes your data very seriously.
As a network that does not serve advertisements and that does not sell information about its users to third parties, Ello has also taken unique steps that help you control how much information about you is shared when you use our site.
Read more here.
Gif by @daniel_triendl
Displate Artist Invite
Submit your work to be featured in the Displate x Ello collection on Displate.comwith the opportunity to receive a commission for each sale, plus promotion of your individual works on Displate’s online channels (900k+ followers).
Displate designs, manufactures and sells unique metal prints based on graphics sourced from independent artists and licenses. It is a global commerce platform where content creators are given a new way to sell their designs and everyone can buy uncommon products with graphics they love.
All of the artworks shown are collected in thematic galleries, span a wide range of subjects, and are promoted across many media channels to help creators reach a new audience.
• 30 artists will be selected to appear in the exclusive Displate x Ello collection on Displate
• The Displate x Ello collection will be widely promoted on Displate's homepage, newsletters and social media accounts (total reach surpassing 900k followers and counting)
• Selected Artists will receive a commission on each Displate sold with their artwork. The commission value will depend on the Displate size sold, average 10% of product price
• 5 selected artists will have their individual collection featured on Displate's site and social media accounts (valued at $250 per artist) and will receive a free M size (17.7'' / 12.6'') Displate with their design
• 5 artists with the most loved post from the Ello community will receive a free M size (17.7'' / 12.6'') Displate with their design
Learn More & Submit
Firstyve Artist Invite
Submit your work to be featured in the premier issue of FIRSTYVE Magazine.
FIRSTYVE is a new publication for young creatives.
“Our main focus is architecture & design and we seek to expose the overlooked talent among young architects, designers, and all-around creatives.”
FIRSTYVE serves as a way to discover new talent, thoughts, and ideas, as well as serving as an outlet for you to have your own work shown. The magazine will feature in-depth profiles on emerging artists and explore different ideas in the world of architecture and design.
• Five selected artists will have their work featured in the premiere issue of FIRSTYVE Magazine. Artists will be contacted afterwards for a short bio. Selected artists will receive a copy of the magazine, once published
• Ten selected artists will be featured in our online magazine
• Five selected photographers will have their photo featured throughout the magazine
• Selected artists will gain exposure through our channels (web, mag, social media)
Learn More & Submit
Under Lucky Stars Artist Invite
Under Lucky Stars makes beautiful star maps showing the alignment of the stars in a place and time chosen by you.
“With the spring approaching, we feel it is time to refresh our star map designs. We want to connect with anyone in the design community that has been inspired by our star maps and would like to contribute their own original design ideas.”
In the first phase, artists will be chosen based on their submitted portfolio to participate in the second phase and will be contacted by the Under Lucky Stars team with a style guide and design specifications. In the second phase selected artists will work with the Under Lucky Stars team to design a new star map for the opportunity to be the final selected artist and receive a total of $5,000. Two runners-up will receive $1,000.
• 25+ artists will be chosen based on their submitted portfolio to participate in the second phase
• 1st Selected Artist will receive $5000
• 2nd Selected Artist will receive $1000
• 3rd Selected Artist will receive $1000
Learn More & Submit
Pactimo Artist Series
Submit your work for the opportunity to help create a custom cycling apparel collection with Pactimo and receive a 20% commission on sales of the garments you design.
While often imitated, the Pactimo Artist Series™ was the first of its kind, launched in early 2010 as a way for cyclists to proclaim their individuality and share the beauty of art on roads and trails around the world through artist-designed and -inspired cycling clothing.
In partnership with Ello, Pactimo hopes to extend the Artist Series invite to a broad spectrum of artists, regardless of medium, through their ability to translate digital and physical art into unique, vibrant pieces of cycling apparel. Pactimo’s advanced printing also allows artists to boldly express their work in rich color and fine detail.
• 4-6 Artists will be selected to create artwork for a range of cycling apparel, for which you will be paid a 20% commission (Net sales proceeds) on sales of garments you design
• Each Artist will have a featured profile located on our website, in addition to regular features in our weekly email (90k+ subscribers), and social media posts across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Learn More & Submit
Fumogallery – Call for New Talent
Submit your work for the opportunity to sell your works in Fumogallery’s e-shop Product Update 3/6/2018 with a 1-year-long Consignment Agreement, to see your profile under their “Stories” page, and to be promoted on the Fumogallery editorial page and weekly newsletter.
FUMOGALLERY is a young online art gallery & design shop based in Italy whose aim is to offer a digital place and platform for artistic projects driven by passion and unconventional moods. All curated works are either carefully selected one-offs or produced in very limited runs – each creation permeates the stories and souls of their creators. Fumogallery’s dream is to give a voice to the stories behind an artistic production or creative idea, whether they are created from brand new materials or from recycled, transformed, and reanimated materials.
Fumogallery welcomes submissions in any of the following categories: Art (Photography, Painting, Sculpture, Drawing, Prints, Mixed Media), Design, and Fashion.
• 3 artists will be chosen – one per category (Art, Design, Fashion)
• Available on Fumogallery e-shop with a regular 1-year-long Consignment Agreement
• Showcased on the Fumogallery homepage
• Tell your story in an interview on Fumogallery editorial page
• Featured in Fumogallery weekly newsletter and shared across the Fumogallery social networks
Learn More & Submit
See All This Magazine – Women’s Issue Artist Invite
The international Master Artist Educator (iMAE) from ArtEZ University of Arts in the Netherlands is an innovative and ambitious master program that started in 2016. iMAE represents a new and innovative concept in arts education.
See All This is a Netherlands-based art magazine established in 2016. All renowned art museums in the Netherlands as well as well-known galleries are partners in See All This. The print magazine is published four times a year. The tagline of See All This is ‘For The Love Of Art’.
See All This and a group of iMAE students and tutors have teamed up to invite all female creative souls in any visual arts medium to submit work addressing our current patriarchal society, one ruled by men with regards to power structures and individual relationships.
“We are looking for work that explores patriarchy and what it means to you – as a woman – in everyday life. How does patriarchy manifest in your work as an artist? How would you challenge current gender codes? This may be interpreted in a broad sense, all together it is about the story of you, the joyful and/or vulnerable story of being a woman.”
• 20 selected artists will be featured on the blog of See All This
• 10 selected artists will be published in See All This magazine, Issue No. 10
• These 10 selected artists will receive a written review by the curatorial team from iMAE
Learn More & Submit
*This Week’s Giveaways, brought to you by Squarespace *
Nicole Xu Giveaway
@nicolexu is a talented illustrator and artist from Brooklyn, by way of Vancouver, Canada. Her work blends human emotion with fantasy. Comment through Thursday and win a print of “Rose Eyes” by the artist. View more of her work here.
Daniel Barreto Giveaway
Guadalajara, Mexico-based visual artist @esdanielbarreto creates designs and illustrations that are contemporary, colorful, and sometimes, abstract. Comment this Thursday through Saturday to win a designed tee shirt from the artist. View more of his work here.
Based in Paris, France, the work of designer and graffiti artist @kylam is geometric and complex, with an edge; illustrative of Parisian skate culture. Comment this Saturday through Tuesday to win 1 of 3 bundles of a limited print of “Corps du Lumiere” and a copy of the “Inner Struggle” risograph zine. View more of his work here.
Note on giveaways: you can now find giveaways as a main navigation item and no longer a Discover category. This is a little preparation work to building out a more stand alone giveaway system. Stay tuned.
Awesome background image by @david_palma.
Missed a previous update? Find them all here.