Hi friends. Time is running out on our current batch of Artist Invites, so if you haven’t already submitted, it’s time to get your ass in gear. This week we’ve also got an interview with Bubi Au Yeung (@bubi), and some dope giveaways.
Meet Artist Bubi Au Yeung
Bubi Au Yeung (@bubi) is a Hong Kong-based artist, illustrator, and designer. For as long as she can remember, Bubi has loved to draw, read all kinds of comic and illustrated books, and collect toys. She has created a series of illustrated stories, numerous characters, and limited figures, most notably Treeson, who was produced as her first vinyl figure in 2005, and quickly became a fans’ favorite around the world. She also got her first book "Treeson and other stories" published in 2007. You can learn more about Bubi and her work here.
Read the full interview.
Ello PRIDE Community & Exhibition
Submit your work for the opportunity to have your work showcased in an exhibition at Soho House, to be featured in PRIDE (an ongoing curated exhibition of LGBTQ+ work), the launch of the Ello PRIDE community, and to showcase your work to brands with the aim of future commissioned opportunities.
Are you an LGBTQ+ painter, poet, photographer, graphic designer, illustrator, art director, 3D and/or motion artist, filmmaker, musician or just a powerful creative? Have you envisioned the ways your forward thinking and creative edge could shape the voices and cultural nuances of your lifestyle? Do you know your work is meant to push conversation, challenge the status quo, and effect change?
We cannot wait to see and support your work & ideas. Today more than ever, we need them.
• Show your work in an exhibition at Soho House in London – 6 selected artists will be showcased in "Diversity Inks" on September 5th.
• Be a featured artist in the new Ello PRIDE community. Ello will launch PRIDE with an online exhibition of 50 of the most thought-provoking LGBTQ+ artists.
• All 50 artists will have the opportunity to have their work showcased to brands with the aim of future commissioned opportunities.
Learn More & Submit
Get Your Photography Featured in East 8 Magazine
Submit your photography to be featured in East 8 Magazine and considered for an “East 8 Presents” commission.
East 8 is a new online pictorial magazine that showcases outstanding photographic art from around the globe. They are dedicated to helping artists bring their photographic visions to life by creating an online space that empowers photographers and visual artists to create on their own terms. Artists shouldn't have to compromise their vision, whether it's due to lack of funding, conflicting client expectations, or just the simple pressure of needing to put out content in order to keep up with social media.
Visit their site http://east8.co and social media East 8 Mag to get an idea of what they’re about and for inspiration on your submission.
• Three selected artists will be provided funding up to $250 to complete a photographic project of their choosing between now and the end of the year. Total funding is contingent on approval of project concept and cost estimate provided by artist. Commissioned works will be licensed to East 8 but will remain the property of the artist.
• Selected prints from commissioned projects will be up for sale with profit shared with artist (profits shared evenly between artist and East 8).
• Promotion across East 8 social media platforms
• Top 10 runner-up artists will be promoted on East 8 website and social media platforms.
Learn More & Submit
TIME IS RUNNING OUT: Get Featured in Papercut Magazine
Submit work that explores the increasing surveillance in our everyday lives.
“Welcome to 'Surveillance', the next issue of Papercut Magazine.
Between 'The Great Firewall' in China, US military drones, corporate hacking scandals, police body cameras, and satellites, there's nowhere to hide.
But do we really care? We live in an age of constant 'self-surveillance'. We stream every waking hour of our lives on Periscope and Instagram. We freely share our location and track our health vitals with wrist bands, and post our every thought on Twitter.
For this issue we're curating creative works that explore the political and social issues regarding the constant and rapid expansion of surveillance (national and individual) across the Globe.
And remember….We'll be watching you!”
• A minimum of 5 artists will be selected and published in the Surveillance Papercut Digital and Print On Demand Issue
• All selected artists will receive a print version of the magazine
• All selected artists will be promoted and tagged across Papercut's social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
Learn more & submit.
This Week’s Giveaways
Mexico-based photographer and artist @lostanaw’s broad body of work combines photography, collage and digital illustration. Comment through Thursday and win a framed print of “Red Tiger Tattoo” by the multidisciplinary artist. View more of his work here.
Liader Soares Giveaway
Brazilian graphic designer, illustrator and photographer @liaderismo blends abstract, fluid shapes with emotive photography. Comment Thursday through Saturday to win a framed print of “ Stay with Yourself”. View more of his work here.
Chris Swasta Giveaway
Little Rock-based ceramics artist @chrisswazie-ceramics creates one-of-a-kind, functional ceramic pieces by hand. Comment this Saturday through Tuesday to win hanging patio planter “N6” by the artist. View more of his work here.
Awesome background image by @simoesimao.
Missed a previous update? Find them all here.