BEAUTIFUL DESTINATIONS (02)
Puente Nuevo (New Bridge), span the 120 metre (390 ft) deep chasm that carries the Guadalevín River and divides the city of Ronda, in southern Spain. The bridge was built in 1793 and connects the new town (mercadillo, 'little market') with the old (La Ciudad). Many Moorish towns and villages were abandoned after the Christians reconquest, however, Ronda proved too important as a commercial centre, and continued to attract merchants from across Andalucia. By the 18th century, el Mercadillo, the "little market", had long outgrown its homely nickname. It was the living heart of a thriving modern town, and its main street, Calle Real, was the commercial centre for the entire Ronda region.