Consolidate your user-generated content
Migrate user-generated content from the lower-performing pages into higher-performing pages, unpublish the low-performing pages, and set up 301 redirects from the low-performing pages to the high-performing ones.
To consolidate content, we recommend the following:
- Identify URLs that are ranking for related queries, or that use similar words in the title tag.
- Migrate all of the related user content into a consolidated page. The consolidated page should be an existing URL, the URL of the highest performing one of these pages.
- If, for UX reasons, it still makes sense to keep up the lower performing pages, breadcrumb link them to the consolidated page as a “parent” or “category” page. Either canonicalize them to the consolidated page or noindex them (but never both).
- If it doesn’t make sense to keep the “child” pages for UX purposes, take them down, 301 redirect them to the consolidated page, and update any internal links to the old pages so that they point to the new page.
- Moderate user discussions and remove content that doesn’t meet community standards to keep your quality score high.